Salami is a deli-meat. You can immediately cook salami as it is already in pieces. But you have to check its shelf-life first.
If you regularly eat salami, you need to know how long does salami last?
Well, it depends on several factors. If it is in a package, you need to check the use before date.
Here are the factors and the details about the shelf life of salami.
- Unopened Dry Salami: If it is dry salami and the package is not opened, you can store it for 4 to 6 weeks at room temperature. If you keep it in the refrigerator, it will last for six months, and in the freezer, it will last for 8 to 10 months.
- Opened Packaged Salami: If you open the salami pack, you can only store it for 2 hours at room temperature. It will last 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator and 1 to 2 months in the freezer.
What is Salami?
You might have come across salami in the butcher’s shop or in the meat section of the shopping market.
It is a type of sausage. You must keep the ground meat in a casing to give it a proper shape. Then you dry and ferment to make it edible.
You can put sliced salami on pizza as well.
What are the different types of salami?
Here are the different types of salami.
- Genoa Salami: It is made with pork and red wine.
- Soppressata: It has a high-fat content. It is made of pork. Press it with a heavyweight to improve the taste.
- Pepperoni: It is an Italian-American salami.
- Herbed Deli Salami: It includes dried herbs and meat.
- Nduja: It is made with pork meat and fat.
- Cotto salami: It is partially cooked.
How to tell if salami has gone bad?
These are the signs of a rotten salami. Do not consume it.
- Rotten Smell: If a salami goes bad, it will smell. You will notice a pungent and unpleasant smell from the meat.
- Slimy Surface: The dry surface will turn slimy. You will see a slime-like cover on the surface.
- Appearance: The appearance and color will change. You will find spots and fungus on it.
Throw away the salami if it goes bad.
How to properly store a salami?
It would be best if you keep it in the freezer or refrigerator to preserve it.
Always keep the salami pack inside the fridge or refrigerator.
After opening the pack, properly store the remaining salami into a cling wrap or freezer bag and keep it in the fridge.
If you want to prolong life, keep it in the freezer.
It will last for 1 or 2 months in the freezer.
Please don’t keep it for more than 2 hours at room temperature. It will go not good.
What to do if you have eaten bad salami?
First things first, you should never eat a salami if it goes bad.
But if you do, immediately visit a doctor.
Eating rotten salami can cause food poisoning.
You will have symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
Your body will try to remove all the poison on its own.
It can lead to severe dehydration.
It would be best if you went to a doctor to check the severity of the situation.
As per your condition, you will either be given some medicines or an IV drip.
Eating bad salami can be dangerous. You need always to check the expiry date and store it properly in the freezer.