Molasses is a sugary syrup which helps to increase the sweetness of any dish. However, many people use it to prepare gingerbread.
But how long does molasses last? Well, it depends upon the expiry date and other conditions.
- Sealed Bottle: If the bottle is sealed, you can keep it for about ten years in a pantry. Make sure the temperature is stable. You can also refrigerate it to increase the life span, but it is not recommended.
How long does molasses last after being opened?
- Opened Bottle: If you have already opened the bottle, it will last for 1 to 5 years in a pantry. However, make sure you keep it sealed and store it properly.
What is molasses?
It is a dark-colored sweet syrup used to make desserts. It is a byproduct.
Where does molasses come from?
When sugar is extracted from sugarcane, the thing which is left behind is known as molasses.
It is commonly used as a sweetener.
Most of the traditional baked goods are made using this syrup.
It is very vicious, so you have to be careful.
There are different types of molasses available in the market.
It is used to make gingerbread, barbeque sauce, and pancake syrup.
Health benefits of molasses:
Is molasses good for you? Yes, it is.
Here are some health benefits of molasses.
- Good for hair: It contains copper, which helps in improving hair health.
- Treats Anemia: It contains iron, which helps to treat anemia. It also contains vitamin B, which increases the production of RBC.
- Cancer: It contains minerals like iron, zinc, potassium, and magnesium, which can help fight cancer. It also contains vitamin B12.
- Skin Health: It helps to treat acne and improve skin health.
- Pregnancy: It is rich in calcium and iron, which can help during pregnancy.
- Menstrual Pain: It can help ease cramps and pain.
- Bone Health: It improves bone health.
- Cardiovascular Protection: It keeps your heart healthy and prevents strokes.
What is the variety of molasses?
Here are the different varieties of molasses.
- Light: It is lighter in color. It is left after the first processing of sugar.
- Dark: It is left after the second processing of sugar. It is either medium-dark or dark in color.
- Blackstrap: It remains after the third extraction. It is very dark and thick.
- Sulfured: Here, the sugarcane is treated with sulfur fumes while making sugar and generating molasses.
- Unsulfured: Here, sulfur is not used. It is made using the finest sugarcane.
- Other Types: Other types of molasses include sorghum, pomegranate, carob, and dates.
How to tell if molasses has gone bad?
Does molasses go bad? Yes, it does.
It is quite challenging to tell if molasses has gone bad.
You have to pay attention while checking for signs.
- Smell: The smell will change.
- Taste: The taste will vary slightly.
- Mold: Mold will start appearing. You have to pay close attention.
- Color: The color will change.
How to properly store molasses for longer shelf-life?
You have to keep it in a cold and dark place.
The best place to store molasses is in a pantry.
How long does molasses last in the fridge?
If you keep it in a fridge, the shelf-life will increase for a few more years.
You can store it in the fridge, but it will become thicker.
Also, it is more likely to develop mold when you keep it out of the freezer to return it to room temperature.
So it is advisable to tightly close the bottle and keep it in a pantry for longer shelf-life.
This is how you can store molasses to increase its lifespan. Moreover, it is quite beneficial for your health too.