If you want to grab a quick bite, hot dogs are perfect. Many people survive merely on hot dogs when they are getting late for work.
But how long do hot dogs last? It depends on the storage condition and expiry date.
- Opened Hot Dog Package: If the hot dog package is opened, it will last up to 2 hours at room temperature. If you store it in the fridge, it will last up to 7 days. In the freezer, it will last from 1 to 2 months.
- Leftover Hotdog: If you have already cooked the hot dog, it will last for 2 hours at room temperature. If you keep it in the fridge, it will last for 3 to 4 days. In the freezer, it will last for four months.
If you buy a package from the store, use it before the expiry date.
What are the health benefits of a hot dog?
Although hot dogs have a high amount of calories, they contain protein, iron, and sodium, which can be useful for health.
- Energy: Eating a hot dog gives you instant energy as it contains 120 g calories. These calories will provide you with enough energy to survive a busy day.
- Protein: Protein is essential for our body. A single hot dog can provide up to 7 g of protein.
- Iron: A pork hot dog contains up to 2.5 mg iron. Iron is a vital component needed by the human body.
- Saturated Fat: Saturated fat is not really that bad as people make it out to be. Hot dog contains up to 6 g saturated fat, which is an excellent energy source.
- Sodium: Your body needs at least some amount of sodium to function. If you eat a chicken hot dog, it will provide you enough sodium required by our body.
If you are health-conscious, avoid consuming too many hot dogs.
How to tell if a hot dog is bad or spoiled?
Here are the signs of a bad hot dog.
- Sour Smell: It will start smelling bad.
- Slimy: The meat will become slimy and sticky.
- Freezer Burns: If you keep it in the freezer for a long time, there will be freezer burns on the hot dog.
- Color: The color might become dull and dark.
How to properly store hot dog to extend its shelf life?
You have to store the hot dogs properly if you want to extend its shelf life.
After opening the hot dog package, immediately keep it inside the freezer or the fridge.
Remove the hot dogs from the package and keep them in a frost-resistant bag and store in the freezer.
The opened package lasts up to 7 days in the fridge and 1 to 2 months in the freezer.
If you want to store a leftover cooked hot dog, keep it inside a Tupperware container and store it in the fridge.
It will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge and four months in the freezer. Please don’t keep it out for more than 2 hours.
Can you freeze hot dogs?
Yes, you can freeze hot dogs. Many people do it for extending the shelf life.
You need to remove them from the package and freeze them. After that, you can keep them in a frost-resistant bag and keep them inside the freezer.
You can only keep the package for 1 or 2 months.
The leftover hot dog can be kept for four months in the freezer.
Can you eat raw hot dogs?
Most of the hotdogs you buy from the store are already cooked, so yea, you can eat them raw.
However, it would be best if you heated them before eating.
This is all you need to know about the shelf life of hot dogs. You can use the methods given in this text to increase the shelf life of hot dogs.