According to recent research on attraction psychology, crushes can last for a maximum of four months.1 However, to determine how long can a crush last; there are many factors to consider.2 Such as how often do you see your crush, does your crush reciprocate, and most importantly how willing are you to nurture this infatuation.2 But before we go more in-depth on how long can sparks last in a crush. Let’s understand the definition of crush.
How to define a crush?
Well, crush is nothing but acts of imagination or idealisation.1 You develop intense feelings for someone without really knowing them.3 But if this continues, it signals the start of romantic love.1
How long can sparks last in a crush?
While some factors could determine how long you can crush on someone, relationship expert and author Jane Greer, Says that if the feelings are never transformed into a connection, then there is a possibility for a crush to last indefinitely.2
Crush vs Love
In straightforward words, crush is an attachment to a person with intense emotion without knowing much about them.2
On the other hand, love is a complete emotional attachment and development of bond as you start to spend more time with each other.2
How to tell when a crush turns into love?
- The initial stage includes feelings of infatuation and lust. When you have a crush, this is where you are before it’s love.1
- Then comes the attraction, as your crush slowly transforms into romantic love.
- And finally, when attachment begins to form as you spend more time with each other, you can tell that love is slowly taking its form.1
How to get over a crush?
To do it right, you should treat it like how you would if a relationship has ended.
- The first thing you will need to do is think about why you like them.3 Doing this will help you realize that you didn’t know them to begin with, which is an excellent place to start.
- It will help if you treat it like a break up though you were never dating them. You were in it emotionally and hence should take time to grieve.
- It is important to maintain distance, even on social media.
Thus, how to get over a crush is basically you getting over a relationship.
How to handle a crush outside a relationship?
Developing a crush outside the relationship is natural and not necessarily harmful.4
When in such a situation, you should talk to someone you trust or try to figure out if this is a sign of something more. And the best thing you can do is communicate with your partner.4
Having a crush it’s fun, so don’t stress over if they are the one. Just enjoy being in an infatuation and let nature take its course.