If you are planning to buy a car, you need to know how long does a clutch last. The lifespan of a clutch depends upon several factors like usage, climate, traffic rules, servicing, etc. The average lifespan of a clutch is approximately 60,000 miles. Some clutches may need replacement at 30,000 miles while others can run 100,000 miles.
Factors affecting how long a clutch last?
The lifespan of a clutch depends upon several factors. Here, we will discuss the factors that affect the lifespan of a clutch.
- Driving Style: The main factor that affects the clutch of a car is driving style. If you are a rash driver, you need to replace the clutch more often. Bad habits while driving like putting the car at gear during a stoplight, slowly changing gears, riding the clutch, launching the vehicle may affect the clutch pretty severely.
- Type of Car: It also depends on the kind of car you are using. Some vehicles like Nissan Sentra have a clutch lifespan of over 50,000 miles while other cars experience this problem in 20,000 miles. A Motorcycle clutch and semi-truck clutch needs frequent replacement.
- Driving Conditions: Driving conditions also affect the clutch. Driving in a hot climate fan clutch may burn because of which you need to replace the clutch.
How to tell if your clutch is wearing out?
Here are the signs that help to know that the car clutch is wearing out.
- Clutch Slipping: When the clutch starts slipping, that means it is beginning to wear out.
- Gear Shifting Problems: You will have problems while shifting gears due to clutch damage. Whenever you try to change the gear, you have to put much effort.
- Shuddering: The engine will start quivering if your clutch is wearing out. It usually happens during the rainy season, but it might be because of clutch failure if it persists for long.
- Chirping Noise: There will be a noise when the clutch pedal releases. It is because of a worn-out clutch.
How to get the most life out of a clutch?
If you want to avoid frequent clutch failure, you need to follow these rules while driving.
- Riding Clutch: Avoid riding the clutch. You have to release the clutch or depress it while driving fully.
- Needless Use: Stop using the clutch when there is no need. During red light, don’t use the clutch. Instead, use a handbrake.
- Acceleration: Before you accelerate the car, you need to engage the gear. Make sure the clutch is released before changing the gear.
- Service: Regularly service your vehicle. Proper maintenance can do wonder to your car clutch.
- Traffic Rules: Follow appropriate traffic rules to avoid clutch damage.
When to replace a clutch?
If you are facing clutch problems, go to a proper mechanic to find out the root cause. Often times, clutch only needs repair.
Only in a few circumstances, you have to replace the clutch.
- Clutch Slippage: Once it starts slipping, the entire clutch might need replacement. Sometimes only a few assembly parts need replacement.
- Shuddering: During shuddering problems, the clutch friction plate or pressure plate may need repair or change.
- Gear Shifting: During the gear shifting problem, a simple fix is enough.
A Clutch is one of the essential parts of a car. You need to follow the rules to prevent the clutch from wearing out. If you are a smooth driver, it can run up to 100,000 miles.