Well, if you are wondering how long it lasts, we can help you. Two things determine the shelf life of blueberries, i.e., the way of picking and storing these berries. Blueberries are one of the healthiest fruit. It is ubiquitous for people to question the shelf life of blueberries.
Here is a table that will help you to understand the lifespan of blueberries.
|Picked/ Purchased||Room temperature||12 hours|
|Freshly harvested blueberries||Frozen||1 to 2 weeks|
|Pack||Properly stored blueberries at room temperature||2 to 3 days|
|Cooked blueberries||Stored in fridge||4 to 5 days|
|Frozen blueberries||Freezer||6 to 12 months|
|Pickled blueberries||Fridge||1 to 3 weeks|
What are blueberries?
It is a fruit that grows on blueberry shrubs. They look like healthy berries with a purple and blue hue.
These berries are available from spring season to the autumn season. They are grown in farms and backyard.
This fruit is very beneficial and tasty. You can consume it with fruit salad, cereals, yogurt, juice, pies, cake, etc.
What are the health benefits of blueberries?
Blueberries are the fruit from Heaven. These berries are not only sweet but nutritious as well.
Here are some health benefits of blueberries.
- Low calories: These berries are low in calories with plenty of vitamins and nutrition.
- Antioxidant: It is an antioxidant fruit. It increases the antioxidant level in the human body, thereby helping in fighting cancer and aging.
- DNA Damage: It protects your DNA from damage.
- Cholesterol: It reduces bad cholesterol in your body.
- Blood Pressure: It also helps in lowering your blood pressure.
How to tell if blueberries are bad or rotten?
It would be best if you always ate fresh. Rotten berries may cause food illness.
The signs of rotten blueberries are as follows.
- Berries become soft
- They become mushy
- Pungent Smell
Don’t consume them if you notice any of these signs. Throw them away.
How to properly store blueberries?
You can use different methods to store blueberries. Freezing is one of the most common ways.
People always ask questions like, should strawberries be refrigerated? Well, yes, most of the berries are refrigerated to increase the shelf life, including blueberries and strawberries.
When you store it at room temperature, consume it within 24 hours. We will show you how to store blueberries.
- Freezing: You can wash the blueberries, and store them inside a container. Keep the box in the freezer to freeze the berries. This way, you can save it for weeks.
- Pickling: You can keep the blueberries in the pickling liquid, which includes vinegar and salt. It will last you six months.
- Canning: You can prepare a blueberry jam and store it in a can to last longer.
- Drying: You can dry or dehydrate blueberries by baking them. You can then store these dead berries in a jar.
- Pureeing: You can make a puree of the blueberries and tore it. You can eat it with pancakes and toast.
How to grow blueberries?
You can quickly grow blueberries in your backyard or garden.
But organic blueberry seeds and plant them in your backyard. Use more than two varieties of seeds.
Also, check which type of shrub suits your region. Water the plant regularly and avoid using pesticides.
Pick the flowers to make the plant healthy. Once the plant is stable, you can start using the berries. It takes six years for the shrub to become healthy.
When the berries are ripe, pick them.
This is how you can adequately store blueberries. You can also grow them as they have many health benefits.